NEVER open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Allow the engine to cool below 100°F (38°C).
- Drain the coolant into a suitable container. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information and Maintenance, Fluids and Lubricants.
- On A4 & 1998-00 Passat models, remove the front bumper assembly. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body and Trim, Front Bumper.
- Remove the radiator hoses from the radiator.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors for the thermal fan switch and the electric cooling fan.
- On models equipped with automatic transmission, if equipped, place a suitable drain pan under the fluid lines, then disconnected and plug the transmission cooling lines.
- On 1990-97 Passat models:
- Remove the radiator mounting fasteners.
- Remove the upper radiator support/hood lock carrier. Outline the mounting fasteners for proper assembly.
- Carefully lift out the radiator complete with the fan assembly.
- On A4 & 1998-00 Passat models:
- Remove the mounting fasteners for the power steering cooling lines and move aside without disconnecting.
- If equipped with air conditioning:
- Remove the left and right side air guides.
- Remove the A/C condenser retaining clamp fasteners and retaining clamp.
- Disconnect the A/C pressure switch just beneath the headlamp.
- Place a suitable protective cover over the right fender, then move the condenser upward away from the retaining bracket and pivot to the side and support it at the right front wheel area using a sturdy wire loop or its equivalent. Do NOT disconnect the A/C lines from the condenser and avoid severe bending and kinking.
- Release the upper radiator retaining bolts, pulling up and removing.
- Tilt the radiator forward, lifting up to remove.
To install :
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following points:
- Fill and bleed the cooling system with the recommended fluid and mixture ratio. The recommended engine coolant should only be diluted with distilled water. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information and Maintenance, Fluids and Lubricants.