To access the rear main oil seal requires the transmission to be removed to access the rear portion of the engine. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Drive Train, Manual Transaxle, Automatic Transaxle.All Engines
The rear main oil seal is located at the rear of the engine block. It can be found in a housing or flange behind the flywheel/flexplate. To replace the seal, remove the transaxle or remove the entire drive train assembly and then remove the transaxle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Remove the flywheel/flexplate assembly.
- Using a suitable tool, pry the old seal out of its housing.
To install :
- Lightly oil the inner lips of the replacement seal and press it into place.
- Install the flywheel/flexplate and the transaxle.
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.