All Except VR6 Engine
The timing belt covers are used to protect the camshaft drive belts from physical damage. The covers must be removed to access the timing belt (if equipped).
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On A4 & 1998-00 Passat models, place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body And Trim, Service Position, Front Bumper, Hood Lock Carrier.
- Remove the accessory drive belt(s).
- Remove the crankshaft accessory drive pulley.
- Remove the cover fasteners, and then remove the covers as necessary.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.