1990-97 Passat Models
The installation of a radiator grille was a front body styling change that was first released on the 1995 Passat GLX models and subsequently used on all Passat models up thru the 1997 model year.
To remove, proceed as follows;
- Open the hood and support with the hood stay rod.
- Remove the self-tapping Phillips fasteners along the top of the hood lock carrier.
- Using a long, thin flat blade screwdriver or a thin paint stirring stick press down while pulling outward to release the upper row of retaining lugs.
- Use a long, thin tool to press the retaining lugs on the lower portion of the grill and while pulling outward, release the lugs.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal making sure the grill is properly seated.
- To remove the lower grille, remove the 2 self-tapping screws, then press down on the detent lugs on the upper inside portion of the grille and grasp firmly to release from the bumper cover.
- To install, press evenly and firmly into place, then install the self-tapping screws.
- Using a suitable flat blade screwdriver, release the grille mounting lugs and pull upward to remove.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.
- To remove the lower grilles on 1998-00 Passat models, grasp firmly and release them from the bumper cover.
- To install, press evenly and firmly into place.
To remove the front grille proceed as follows;
- Open the hood.
- Apply suitable masking tape allowing about 2 inches (50mm) of free play between the sides of the grille and the hood to catch the grill and prevent it from falling to the floor once released.
- Locate the plastic retaining brackets on the upper row of the inside portion of the grille and working from one side to another, press down on the retainers while pushing outward from the inside of the grille until the upper portion of the grille has been release from the hood.
- Grasp the grille and carefully remove the masking tape, then lift the grille upward to remove from the hood.
- With the hood closes, seat the bottom of the grille into the lower opening of the hood.
- While holding the grill down, press the top of the grille into the hood making sure it is fully seated.
- Using a suitable plastic prytool, or a prytool suitably wrapped in protective tape, carefully pry out the grille assembly.
- To install, press the grill evenly and firmly into place.