A4 & 1998-00 Passat Models
To allow clearance for engine compartment related component removal, repairs and maintenance on all A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, the front body section of the vehicle must be moved forward. This procedure is referred to as placing the (hood) lock carrier in the service position.
To place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position requires removal of the front bumper and the upper radiator support/(hood) lock carrier assembly must be loosened and moved forward where it is held in place by reinstalling the upper mounting bolts.
To place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position:
- Remove the front bumper. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Front Bumper, Removal and Installation.
- Matchmark the front bumper shock-to-body panel for reinstallation and remove the bumper shocks.
- Install Tool No. 3369 or place a 3 / 8 inch (9mm) inside diameter sleeve, about 4 inches (100mm) long around the 8mm front bumper mounting bolts such that 1 inch (25mm) of the threads are exposed, and thread them into the threaded hole just above the inner fasteners for the front bumper shock mounts. This is used to support the (hood) lock carrier assembly once it has been detached from the body.
- Disconnect the hood release cable by lifting the small retaining bracket and spreading the forked clevis to clear the pins.
- Detach the (hood) lock carrier from its body mounting points leaving all electrical wiring, coolant and air conditioner hoses attached.
- Carefully move the (hood) lock carrier forward and if necessary, secure it in place by aligning the lock carrier upper rearmost fastener holes with the forward most fastener holes of the front fenders and installing one upper fastener on both sides of the upper inner fender-to-carrier mounting point.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.