- Open and support the panel.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Protect the body and panel with covers and or protective tape to prevent damage to the paint.
- Use a suitable marker, or scribe marks around the mounting locations for reference during installation.
- Remove the inside trim panel as necessary and unplug any electrical connectors, windshield washer hoses, and central locking system vacuum hoses that would interfere with the panel removal.
- While an assistant helps secure the panel, if necessary, disconnect the gas charged shock, then unfasten the attaching fasteners, and remove the panel from the vehicle. Place the panel on cardboard to avoid damaging the finish.
- Place the panel into position. Install and partially tighten attaching bolts.
- Align the mounting points with the reference marks and tighten the attaching fasteners.
- Check the panel for an even fit between the fenders and for flush fit with the rear of the vehicle and on models with a tailgate, with the rear of the roofline.
- Apply a small dab of grease on the retaining ball, then install the gas support shock making sure the shock and retaining clip is installed and properly seated.
- Attach any electrical connections, washer hoses and central locking vacuum hose disconnected during removal.
- If removed, install the interior trim panel.
- Check the alignment and latch operation, and adjust as necessary.
The proper alignment is achieved by moving the hinge assemblies and/or the latch assembly.
The trunk lid and tailgate seam alignment and tailgate height are adjusted by moving/adjusting the hinges as follows;
- Close the trunk lid or tailgate and check the seam alignment. The seams should be properly centered and flush with the rear body panel when closed. On tailgates, the top of the tailgate should be flush with the roofline.
- To adjust the seam and/or tailgate to roof height, loosen the fasteners and position the hinge as necessary, then snug the fasteners and recheck. Continue the process until properly centered, and on models with a tailgate, until the tailgate is level with the roof line, then check and if necessary, adjust the trunk lid height or tailgate rear panel alignment.
The trunk lid height and tailgate rear panel alignment are adjusted by moving/adjusting the stop cushions and the latch assembly as follows;
- On trunk lids,
- Close the trunk lid and check the top rear trunk lid to rear fender alignment. The trunk lid should be flush with the rear fenders when closed.
- To adjust, open the trunk lid and adjust the threaded cushions as necessary, and close the trunk lid. If necessary, repeat the adjustment. Once the proper alignment is achieved, check the opening and closing effort. If necessary, adjust the latch assembly.
- On tailgates,
- Close the tailgate and check the rear tailgate to rear body panel alignment. The tailgate should be flush with the rear body panel when closed.
- To adjust, open the tailgate and adjust the threaded cushions as necessary, and close the tailgate. If necessary, repeat the adjustment. Once the proper alignment is achieved, check the opening and closing effort. If necessary, adjust the latch assembly.