If either the hub or the wheel bearing are removed, the wheel bearing must be replaced.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the bearing housing (knuckle) from the vehicle.
- Remove any installed shields and/or brackets as necessary.
- Place the bearing housing (knuckle) onto suitable press plates in a hydraulic press making sure the housing is completely level, and press the wheel hub out of the bearing housing (knuckle).
- On 1990-97 Passat models, using a sturdy and suitable snap ring pliers, remove the snap ring from the bearing housing (knuckle).
- Support the bearing housing (knuckle) on suitable press plates and press the bearing out off the housing.
- Remove the inner race of the wheel bearing from the hub using a suitable and sturdy puller, such as KUKKO® Tool No. 240-1. If necessary, wedge the bearing race upward slightly by wedging a chisel between the bearing and a hub alternately from side-to-side. Once the bearing race is removed, if necessary, dress the area on the hub with a suitable flat-faced file.
- Thoroughly inspect the bearing housing (knuckle) and the hub and remove any burrs. If necessary, slightly chamfer the outer perimeter of the housing.
- Place the bearing housing (knuckle) on suitable press plates in a hydraulic press.
- While supporting the bearing housing, press the bearing into the housing.
- On 1990-97 Passat models;
- Install a new snap ring.
- If the hub is being replaced, make sure to install the tone ring for the ABS brake system BEFORE pressing the hub into the bearing.
- Support the inner bearing race of the wheel bearing, and press the hub into the bearing until it is fully seated.
- The balance of installation is in reverse ord