A4 & 1998-00 Passat Models
The ball joint is part of the upper control arm. If the ball joint has failed the control arm assembly must be replaced.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Place a suitable jack under the lower control arm and lift the arm upward 2 inches (50mm).
- Carefully grasp the upper and lower portion of the front tires and attempt to rock the top portion of the tire in and out toward the center of the vehicle.
- If looseness is felt at the upper portion of the tire:
- Remove the tire/wheel assembly and inspect the upper control arm bushings using a suitable prytool to check for looseness. If looseness is felt, replace the upper control arm.
- Using a suitable prytool, pry between the steering knuckle and each of the upper control arms. If looseness is present, replace the control arm assembly.
The upper ball joint(s) cannot be replaced separately. If one or both of the ball joints become worn or damaged, their upper control arm assembly must be replaced.