A4 Models & 1998-00 Passat Models
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the pinch bolt and pull both control arms upward and out.
- Cover the steering gear boot.
- Remove the guide link ball joint and press off the joint.
- Detach the ABS wheel speed sensor wire front the bracket on the brake caliper.
- Support the suspension from excessive rebound travel.
- Remove the lower strut mounting bolt.
- Swing the wheel bearing housing aside.
- Raise the hood and remove the rubber grommets from the plenum chamber.
- Remove the upper strut-to-body mounting nuts.
- Remove the strut together with the mounting bracket.
- Clamp the strut in a vise with the protective jaw covers.
- Remove the upper link bolts and detach both of the links.
- Remove the bracket-to-strut mounting nuts, and then separate.