1990-93 VW Passat
Absolute cleanliness is essential when working with the fuel system components. Small particles of dirt can cause trouble if it gets into the fuel distributor.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure. See "Relieving Fuel System Pressure."
- Clean the fuel line fittings on the regulator before loosening them, to prevent dirt from entering the fuel lines when they are disconnected.
- Remove the vacuum hose from the regulator.
- Loosen and remove the fuel line from the regulator.
Residual fuel may be expelled. Do NOT smoke or work near heaters or other fire hazards. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Loosen the clamp bolt on the pressure regulator mounting bracket. Make note of the regulator position in the bracket (for reinstallation reference) and slide the regulator out of the bracket.
- Install regulator in the bracket. Reference the position noted earlier and tighten the clamp bolt.
- Connect the fuel lines to the regulator and tighten the fittings to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the vacuum hose to the regulator.
- Start engine and check for fuel leaks at the regulator and fittings.