- First, remove the rear section of the center console, as described in this section.
- On Audi models, remove the radio/cassette unit. Also, pull the knobs from the heater controls and remove the 4 securing screws at the corners of the radio opening and release the console trim panel from its retaining clips.
- Then, remove the plastic plugs from the front lower edges of the console and remove the securing nuts beneath.
- On models with manual transaxles, unclip the shift lever cover, then unscrew shift knob, together with cover and remove from the top.
- Remove the center console from instrument panel and remove from the top of gearshift lever.
- On models with automatic transaxles, unclip the trim/gear indicator panel. Lift it over the gearshift lever and remove it from the console.
- Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, the remove the console from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- With the handbrake lever applied, remove the securing pin at the base of the parking brake grip and pull the lever grip free. Withdraw the trim from the lever.
- Remove the plastic plugs from the lower edges at the front of the console and remove the securing screws beneath the plugs.
- Pull the cup holder out at the rear of the console, and then remove the ashtray and the lock nuts at the base of the ashtray recess.
- Place the center armrest in the upright position, then remove the rubber mat and unscrew the nut securing the center of the rear console.
- Where applicable, release the diagnostic connector from its position adjacent to the ashtray.
- Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, then remove the console by lifting it from the rear up and over the brake lever.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal. Ensure that the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring is reconnected and that the diagnostic connector is installed in the correct position.
FRONT CENTER CONSOLE
- Remove the 4 mounting bolts (1).
- Remove the front center console (2).
Removing using following procedure:
- Removing trim piece for instrument panel centerpiece
- Unbolt heating control from instrument panel centerpiece
- Unclip cover
- Remove nut
- Remove bolts (4x)
- Detach the center console at position shown and pull it rearward to remove.
To install :
- When installing, center console must be inserted into clip.
- Install the cover (3).
- Install the nuts (4) and tighten to 31 inch lb. (3.5 Nm).
- Install mounting clip (5).
- Remove the parking brake lever trim.
- Remove the 2 mounting bolt cover clips to expose mounting bolts on the front console.
- Open the ashtray cover and lift the ashtray up and out.
- Remove the retaining nut.
If necessary, remove the armrest.
- Pull up the parking brake lever, lift the rear center console slightly and it detach from the front center console at the front.
- Remove the 2 mounting bolts to the front console.
- Remove the cassette tray.
- Lift the rear center console toward the front, over parking brake lever, and remove it.
- Disconnect the Data Link Connector (DLC) from the center console.
Installation is reverse order of removal.