A4 and Passat AWD Models
- Loosen the halfshaft retaining bolt and wheel lug bolts slightly.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel assembly.
- Remove the halfshaft retaining bolt.
- Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the wheel bearing housing.
- Remove the nut for the stabilizer bar connecting link to the wheel bearing housing.
- Separate the track rod from the wheel bearing housing.
- Remove the caliper mounting bolts and suspend the caliper from the body.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Matchmark the position of the eccentric washer for the lower control arm-to-wheel bearing housing bolt and remove.
- Remove the wheel bearing housing-to-upper control arm mounting bolt.
- Remove the halfshaft from the wheel bearing housing.
- Clean any dirt and debris from around the machined area for the wheel bearing path.
- Place the wheel bearing housing in a press, and then using an appropriate bearing driver, press out the bearing with the hub.
- Press out the hub from the bearing.
The larger inner diameter of the wheel bearing faces the wheel hub.
- Press the wheel bearing into the bearing housing, then the hub into the wheel bearing.
- Install the halfshaft to the wheel bearing housing and hand-tighten the retaining bolt.
The bolted connections between the wheel bearing housing and the suspension must only be tightened with the suspension loaded. Otherwise the bonded rubber bushings will be subjected to a torsional stress resulting in premature failure.
- Install the upper control arms to the wheel bearing housing and tighten the attaching bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) plus 1 / 4 turn (90 degrees).
- Attach the lower control arm to the wheel bearing housing, then align the matchmarks and tighten the bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the brake rotor and caliper, and tighten the caliper mounting bolts as follows:
- Socket-head bolts: 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm)
- Ribbed bolts: 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm)
- Attach the track rod to the wheel bearing housing and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer bar connecting link to the wheel bearing housing and tighten the attaching nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Install the wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle, and tighten the halfshaft retaining bolt to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) plus 1 / 2 turn (180 degrees).
- Check the wheel alignment. Adjust if necessary.