A4 and Passat AWD Models
When loosening or tightening axle nuts/bolts, be sure the vehicle is on the ground. The axle bolt torque is high enough that attempting to loosen it may cause the vehicle to fall off the support.
- With the vehicle weight on the ground, loosen the halfshaft end bolt.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the halfshaft bolt, wheel bolts and wheel assembly.
- Slide the ABS speed sensor partly out of its mount.
- Unbolt the CV joint from the final drive.
- Loosen and remove the sway bar link mounting bolt at the wheel bearing housing.
- On A4 models, loosen and remove the upper control arm mounting bolt at the wheel bearing knuckle.
- If removing the left halfshaft, remove the center and rear mufflers.
- Lower the halfshaft at the final drive, and then remove from the drive flange.
- Install the halfshaft into the drive flange bearing, then the final drive.
- Tighten the upper control arm mounting bolt to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm), plus 1 / 4 (90°) turn.
- Tighten the sway bar link mounting bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- If removed, install the center and rear mufflers.
- Tighten the Rear CV joint-to-final drive bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- install the ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Install a new rear halfshaft mounting bolt, tire/wheel assembly, lower the vehicle, then and tighten to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) plus 1 / 2 (180°) turn.