1998-00 Passat FWD Models
The 1998-00 Passat Front Wheel Drive (FWD) models are the only models covered in this guide that Do NOT use a strut assembly for the rear wheels
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle until the upper rear shock mounting bolts are accessible and remove the mounting bolts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- With the help of an assistant, pull the rear axle downward and withdraw the spring.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following procedure and torque specifications:
- Upper shock mount-to-body: 33ft. lbs. (45 Nm)