1998-00 Passat FWD Models
The 1998-00 Passat Front Wheel Drive (FWD) models are the only models covered in this guide that Do NOT use a strut assembly for the rear wheels
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle until the upper rear shock mounting bolts are accessible and remove the mounting bolts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the lower shock-to-axle beam mounting fasteners and remove the shock.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal. Note the following procedure and torque specifications:
- Tighten the upper shock mount-to-body nuts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm)
- Install a new lower shock-to-axle beam bolt and nut hand tight, and then carefully lower the vehicle.
- With the vehicle on its wheels, tighten the lower shock bolt to the axle beam is 2 steps:
- Step 1: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Step 2: 90° ( 1 / 4 turn)
Please refer to the front shock absorbers for testing procedures.
While each shock absorber can be replaced individually, it is recommended that they be changed as a pair (both front or both rear) to maintain equal response on both sides of the vehicle. Chances are quite good that if one has failed, its mate is weak also.