Some models covered by this guide may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS. Handling of the SRS components requires extreme care. Special tools are also required. If in doubt, see a qualified service technician to ensure proper removal and installation of air bag system components.
1990-97 Passat Models
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel, and then remove the steering column covers.
- Remove the turn signal and wiper switches.
- Remove the steering lock housing.
- For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Ignition/Starter Switch Removal & Installation
- The hole in the lock body for removing the ignition lock cylinder is not drilled during production. To mark the location of the hole, proceed as follows:
- Measure from the face of the lock cylinder down (dimension a) 15 / 32 inch (12mm) in line with the support bridge of the cylinder housing and scribe a line parallel with the face of the lock cylinder.
- Measure 3 / 8 inch (10mm) (dimension b) from the center of the lock cylinder, and scribe a line perpendicular to (90°) to the face of the lock.
- Drill an 1 / 8 inch (3mm) about 1 / 8 inch (3mm) deep into the housing.
- Using the opposite end of the drill bit, depress the lock retaining spring and remove the lock cylinder. If necessary, insert the key before removing the cylinder.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
A drilled lock housing should not be reinstalled.
- Press the lock cylinder into the housing.
- Turn the key in the lock cylinder and push fully onto the stop.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SRS air bag, steering wheel and column switch assemblies. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Steering Wheel, Turn Signal/Hi-Low Beam/Wiper Switch Removal and Installation.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Insert a length of steel wire about 3 / 64 inch (1.2mm) in diameter into the small opening near to the bottom ignition key slot and press down fully at a slight angle, aiming toward the outer bottom edge of the housing and remove the lock cylinder by pulling on the ignition key.