1990-97 Passat Models
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Install an engine support cradle. For information on supporting the engine please refer to the following topic(s): Drive Train, Automatic Transaxle Removal, Manual Transaxle Removal
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheels.
- Using a suitable tie rod end removal tool, remove the tie rod ends from the bearing housing.
- Remove the lower dash trim to access the steering column u-joint and loosen the nut on the u-joint.
- Extract the hydraulic fluid from the power steering reservoir using a siphon gun, or place a drain pan under the power steering pump and disconnect the supply hose and allow the fluid to drain.
- Make sure the engine is properly supported by the support cradle.
- Remove the steering gear to column protective boot.
- Remove the subframe bolts, and then lower the engine assembly until the steering shaft u-joint is disconnected.
- Disconnect the steering hoses and cover with a clean plastic bag and seal the holes in the steering rack with suitable plugs.
- Remove the steering gear mounting nuts leaving the bolts in the subframe and remove the steering rack to the rear.
- Install the steering rack onto the subframe and tighten the fasteners to:
- Steering rack-to-subframe: 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)
- Carefully raise the engine assembly and with the help of an assistant, guide the coupling together at the u-joints and tighten to:
- Steering rack coupling-to-steering column: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Coat the coupling boot with soft soap to lubricate and slide in place.
- Install the subframe mounts and rear bracket fasteners and tighten as follows:
Subframe mount-to-under body:
Step 1: 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm)Step 2: 90° ( 1 / 4 turn)Rear subframe bracket: 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)
- The balance of the installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Top off the power steering fluid, using the recommended fluid type and amount. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information and Maintenance, Fluids and Lubricants.
- Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position before connecting the battery.
- Properly bleed the pump as outlined in Power Steering Pump Bleeding.
- Check the alignment and adjust as necess