The VAG1551/VAG1152 scan tool, with VAG1551/3 adapter cable, is required to access the stored trouble codes (DTCs).
- Connect the scan tool to the diagnostic connector and press buttons "0" and "1" to insert "Engine Electronics: Address Word 01" (engine running at idle).
- Press the PRINT button to switch the scan tool printer on.
- Press buttons "0" and "2" to select the "Check DTC Memory: Function 02".
- Press "Q" button to confirm input.
Indicated on display will be the number of stored DTCs, or "No DTC Recognized".
Stored DTCs are displayed one after another, and are printed out along with applicable codes.
- Once determined, repair any malfunctions, according to the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code table.
- When the problem has been repaired, erase the DTC memory, then rerun the reading codes action through the scan tool to be sure all codes have been cleared.