Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly, as outlined in the Drive Train Section
If equipped with a manual transmission, remove the clutch and pressure plate, as outlined in the Drive Train section.
- Remove the eight flywheel retaining bolts.
- Remove the flywheel from the crankshaft.
- Clean any grease or dirt from the crankshaft flange outer surface using a suitable solvent.
Install the flywheel to the crankshaft.
NOTEApply the proper amount of the sealant to the fastener when assembling this component. Excessive use of the sealant can prohibit the component from being assembled properly or allow the fastener to loosen. A component or fastener that is not assembled properly can loosen or fall off leading to extensive engine damage.
Apply GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) or the equivalent, to the flywheel retaining bolt threads.
For vehicles equipped with an Automatic Transmission, install the flywheel retaining bolts (1-8) to the crankshaft. Tighten the eight flywheel retaining bolts in sequence for Automatic Transmission to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm).
- For vehicles equipped with a Manual Transmission, install the flywheel retaining bolts to the crankshaft. Tighten the eight flywheel retaining bolts in sequence for Manual Transmission to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). After the proper torque has been reached, use tool J 36660-A and tighten the flywheel bolts an additional 90 degrees.
- If equipped with a manual transmission, install the clutch and pressure plate.
- Install the transaxle assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten the battery cable bolt to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).