Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Drain the transaxle fluid and transfer fluid, if equipped.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
Separate the front stabilizer links and lower control arm ball joints
Remove the engine from the vehicle, as follows:
- Set the engine lifter.
- Remove the bolts and nuts, then remove the engine mounting insulator.
- Remove the through bolt and nut, then detach the engine mounting insulator from the vehicle.
Remove the 6 bolts as shown.
- Use a suitable tool to suspend the engine assembly, as shown in the figure.
- No. 1 engine hanger: P/N 12281-15040 (1ZZ-FE), 12281-88600 (2ZZ-GE).
- No. 2 engine hanger: P/N 12281- 22021 (1ZZ-FE), 12281-88600 (2ZZ-GE).
- Bolt: P/N 91512-B1016.
Torque the bolts to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
CAUTIONDo not try to suspend the engine by hooking the chain to any other part.
Attach an engine chain hoist to the hangers.
- Using the chain block and sling device, suspend the engine.
- Remove the engine and transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
Remove or disconnect the following components, as necessary:
- Install any removed components to the engine and transaxle assembly.
To install the engine:
- Place the engine and transaxle on an engine lifter.
- Install the engine with the transaxle to the vehicle.
- Temporarily install the crossmember and 6 bolts.
- Install the left engine mounting insulator. Tighten the bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the right engine mounting insulator. Tighten the bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
Insert SST 09670-00010 to the positioning holes of the right handle crossmember and on the right handle of the vehicle. Temporarily tighten bolt A, then bolt B.
Insert SST 09670-00010 to the positioning holes of the left handle crossmember and on the left handle of the vehicle. Temporarily tighten bolt A, then bolt B.
- Insert the SST to the positioning holes on the right-handle crossmember and right handle. Tighten bolt A to 116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm) and bolt B to 83 ft. lbs. (113 Nm).
- Insert the SST to the positioning holes on the left-handle crossmember and left handle. Tighten bolt A to 116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm) and bolt B to 83 ft. lbs. (113 Nm).
Tighten the 2 crossmember bolts, shown in the figure, to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Installation of the remaining components is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Make sure all fluid levels are accurate, then start the engine check for leaks.