Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Use a small sharp knife to cut off the lip of the oil seal. Take great care not to score any metal with the knife.
- Use a small prytool to pry the old seal from the retaining plate. Be careful not to damage the plate. Protect the tip of the tool with tape and pad the fulcrum point with cloth.
- Inspect the crankshaft and seal lip contact surfaces for any sign of damage.
- Apply a light coat of multi-purpose grease to the lip of a new oil seal. Loosely fit the seal into place by hand, making sure it is not crooked.
- Use a seal driver of the correct size to install the seal. Tap it into place until the surface of the seal is flush with the edge of the housing.