Removal & Installation
- Remove the fuel sender assembly.
Remove the bottom cap and the lower cushion from the fuel sender assembly.
Remove the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel filter assembly.
- Apply gasoline to a new fuel pressure regulator O-ring.
Install the new O-ring onto the fuel pressure regulator.
Install the fuel pressure regulator into the fuel filter assembly.
- Install the fuel pressure regulator into the fuel sender assembly.
- Position the lower cushion on bottom of fuel pump, and install the lower cap to the sender assembly until the cap locks into place.
- Install the fuel sender assembly to the fuel tank.
Tools Required -Fuel Lock Ring Remover Tool
The fuel pressure regulator is an integral part of the fuel sender assembly and cannot be serviced separately. Replacement of the fuel sender assembly is required in order to replace the fuel pressure regulator.
Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the 2 fasteners of the right side cushion and swing the rear seat bottom cushion up and out of the way.
- Remove the sill plate from the right side door opening.
Fold back the carpet, in order to maintain metal-to-metal contact, while servicing the fuel sender assembly.
- Remove the 4 fasteners to the access panel for the fuel sender assembly from the rear seat floor.
Lift the access panel and disconnect the fuel sender electrical connector from the fuel sender assembly.
Remove the retaining clip from the fuel line fitting.
- Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel sender assembly.
Unlock the quick connect fitting of the On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) vent line by sliding the lock clasp to unlock position.
Disconnect the ORVR vent line from the fuel sender assembly.
- Use the CH-47717 in order to loosen the fuel sender assembly lock ring.
Clean the area around the fuel and vent lines and the fuel sender assembly in order to prevent possible fuel contamination during removal.
- Locate the 4 safety latches and the safety stop on the fuel sender assembly lock ring.
While rotating the lock ring during removal, ensure that each safety latch is gently depressed in order to pass without engaging the safety stop.
Remove the lock ring.
WARNINGDo not spill residual fuel or damage the fuel level sensor float while rotating and tilting the sender assembly during removal.
- Remove the fuel sender assembly from the fuel tank.
Install a new O-ring seal onto the fuel tank.
Install the fuel sender assembly (2) into the fuel tank through the floor panel opening (3).
Align the notch (1) on the fuel sender assembly with the slot (2) in the fuel tank opening.
- Align the extra ridge on the fuel tank lock ring with the mark on the fuel tank.
Gently push down on the fuel sender while rotating the lock ring onto the fuel tank.
Use the CH-47717 in order to tighten the fuel sender assembly lock ring.
- After 2 full rotations of the lock ring, watch for the alignment of the lock ring extra ridge with the 2 triangle marks on the fuel tank.
Rotate the lock ring until the ridge is positioned within the 16 degree area between the 2 marks.
- Connect the ORVR vent line to the fuel sender assembly.
Slide the quick connect clasp into the lock position on the ORVR vent line.
Connect the fuel supply line to the fuel sender assembly.
- Secure the fuel supply line to the sender assembly with the retaining clip.
- Connect the fuel sender electrical connector to the fuel sender assembly.
- Add fuel to the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten the retainer for the negative battery cable terminal to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks.
- Install the access panel to the rear seat floor panel.
- Secure the access panel to the body with 4 bolts. Tighten the 4 bolts to 53 inch lbs (6 Nm).
- Relocate the carpet under the ride side seat area and the right sill plate area.
Install the sill plate to the right side door opening .
- Lower the rear seat bottom cushion and secure with 2 bolts. Tighten the 2 bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).