- LOCK the steering column and verify the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
Disarm the SIR (air bag) system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical.
- Disconnect the horn connector and remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- If the vehicle has cruise control, remove the cruise control switch.
- Remove the nut (2) from the steering wheel.
Use paint in order to place match marks on the steering wheel and on the steering shaft.
WARNINGWhen removing the steering wheel, use only the specified steering wheel puller. Do not hammer on the end of the steering column shaft. Hammering could loosen the plastic injections which maintain the steering column rigidity.
- Use tool J 1859-A, or equivalent steering wheel puller, in order to remove the steering wheel.
- If you are replacing the steering wheel (3), copy the match marks from the old steering wheel to the new steering wheel.
- Align the match marks on the steering wheel and on the steering shaft.
- Install the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
- Install the nut (2). Tighten the nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- If the vehicle has cruise control, install the cruise control switch..
- Connect the horn connector and install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Arm the SIR System.