On 1996-00 vehicles, the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is monitors the temperature of air entering the engine. As the temperature of the air entering the engine rises, the resistance of the IAT sensor decreases. The signal sent to the PCM by the IAT sensor is used for on board diagnostics only, and does not affect engine operation. IAT sensors are not used on 1993-95 vehicles.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the IAT sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the sensor from the air cleaner intake tube.
The installation is the reverse of removal.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the IAT sensor.
- Measure the resistance between the sensor terminals.
- Compare the resistance reading with the accompanying chart.
If the resistance is not within specifications, replace the sensor.