The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is mounted in the rear of the transaxle case. The sensor is a pulse generator which monitors the transaxle output shaft speed and sends the signal to the speedometer. The signal is then sent from the speedometer to the PCM and the transaxle control module.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Disconnect the VSS electrical connector.
- Remove the VSS hold-down bracket bolt and remove the bracket.
- Remove the VSS from the vehicle.
The installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the VSS hold-down bracket, tighten the bolt to 44-61 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm).
- With the ignition switch OFF , disconnect the VSS electrical connector.
- Connect ohmmeter leads between the terminals of the sensor.
- Observe the ohmmeter reading. The reading should be approximately 200-250 ohms. If not, replace the sensor.