Wipe excess oil from the lifter. Do not submerge the lifter in solvent. Inspect the lifter for scratches, nicks, and wear on the friction surfaces, especially where the lifter contacts the camshaft and the rocker arm. If either the camshaft or rocker arm contact surfaces are damaged or cupped, be sure to check the corresponding rocker arm or camshaft lobe for damage and wear.
If excess lifter wear is suspected, measure the valve lifter-to-valve lifter guide clearance. For specifications, please refer to Engine Mechanical Specifications, Valve Lifter Specifications. Measure the outer diameter of the lifter with a micrometer. Record the measurements, if they are within specifications. If the measurements are less than specifications, the lifter is worn and must be replaced.
Using an bore gauge or inside micrometer, measure the inner diameter of the lifter guide in the rocker arm shaft support. Record the measurements, if they are within specifications. If the lifter guide inner diameter is greater than specifications, the rocker arm shaft support must be replaced.
To find the valve lifter-to-valve lifter guide clearance, subtract the previously recorded lifter diameter from the recorded inner diameter of the lifter bore.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the rocker arm shafts.
- Secure the lifters to the rocker arm shaft support. Either loop mechanics wire around the tops of the lifters, or use a rubber band around every two lifters.
Remove the rocker arm shaft support and lifters together.
NOTEIf the lifters are to be reinstalled, note their original positions during removal.
- Remove the mechanic-s wire or the rubber bands, and slide the lifters from the rocker arm shaft support. To prevent air from entering the lifters, sit them in the upright position or submerge them in a container of new engine oil.
- Coat the outer lifter surfaces with new engine oil.
- Slide the lifters into position in the rocker arm shaft support, and secure them with either the mechanic-s wire or the rubber bands.
- Position the rocker arm shaft support, with the lifters installed, on the cylinder head.
- Remove the mechanic-s wire or the rubber bands.
Install the rocker arm shafts, noting the tightening instructions.