Description & Operation
The inertia fuel shutoff switch turns off power to the electric fuel pump in the event of a collision. Once the switch has been tripped, it must be reset manually in order to start the engine.
The inertia switch is located in the driver-s side kick panel in the passenger compartment.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the driver-s side front scuff plate. This is the panel on the body at the bottom of the door. There are four retaining clips that hold the plate in place. Pull up on the plate to remove it.
- Remove the driver-s side kick panel to gain access to the inertia fuel shutoff switch. Pull out on the panel to release the clips.
- Remove the two inertia fuel shutoff switch screws.
- Disconnect the inertia fuel shutoff switch electrical connector.
- Remove the switch from the vehicle.
The installation is the reverse of removal.
Resetting The Switch
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Ensure that there is no fuel leaking in the engine compartment, along any of the fuel and vapor lines, or at the tank. There should be no odor of fuel as well.
- If no leakage and/or odor is apparent, reset the switch by pushing the reset button on the top of the switch.
- Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition switch from the OFF to ON positions several times, allowing five seconds at each position, to build fuel pressure within the system.
- Again, check the fuel system for leaks. There should be no odor of fuel as well.
If there is no leakage and/or odor of fuel, it is safe to operate the vehicle, however, it is recommended that the entire system be checked by a professional, especially if the vehicle was in an accident severe enough to trip the inertia switch.