Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
Improper handling and storage of air bags may result in serious personal injury. Please refer to Air Bags, System Service, Service Precautions for the proper procedures.
- Position the vehicle with the front wheels in a straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Wait at least ten minutes for the air bag back-up power supply to drain before continuing.
- Remove the bottom steering wheel cover to access the driver-s side air bag electrical connector. Disconnect the connector.
- Remove the left and right steering wheel covers.
Using a tamper-resistant Torx® T-50 bit, remove the left and right driver-s side air bag bolts. Discard the bolts.
CAUTIONWhen carrying a live air bag, make sure the air bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance if injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed.
- Separate the air bag from the steering wheel. Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector and remove the air bag.
- Remove the steering wheel bolt on 1993-95 vehicles. On 1996-00 vehicles, remove the steering wheel nut.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the steering wheel.
- Using a suitable puller, separate the steering wheel from the steering column shaft. Install the puller bolts into the threaded holes in the center of the steering wheel. While holding the wheel in position, tighten the center puller bolt until the steering wheel is released from the shaft.
Feed the electrical connector through the steering wheel and remove the wheel from the vehicle.
- Feed the electrical connector through the steering wheel. Align the splines on the steering wheel and the steering column shaft and install the wheel on the shaft.
- On 1993-95 vehicles, install the steering wheel bolt and tighten it to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
- On 1996-00 vehicles, install the steering wheel nut and tighten it to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
- Connect the steering wheel electrical connector.
- Connect the horn switch electrical connector and position the air bag on the steering wheel.
- Install two new air bag bolts and tighten them to 11-18 ft. lbs. (15-25 Nm).
- Connect the air bag electrical connector.
- Install the steering wheel covers.
- Connect the battery cables, positive cable first.