REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the two heater hoses and the generator strap.
- Pull out the lead wire of the ignition coil.
- Remove the distributor cap and take off the spark plug connectors.
- Remove the retaining screws on both sides of the fan housing.
- Remove the outer half of the generator pulley and remove the fan belt.
- Remove the thermostat securing screw and take out the thermostat.
- Remove the lower part of the carburetor preheater duct.
- The fan housing can now be removed with the generator. After removal, check the fan housing for damage and for loose air-deflector plates. Accumulated dirt should be removed at this time.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal sequence, and involves installation of fan housing flap assemblies, and the insertion of the thermostat actuating rod in the cylinder head and lower fan housing. It is necessary that the fan housing fit properly on the cylinder cover plates so that loss of cooling air will be avoided. In order to achieve proper fit, the cover plates may have to be bent slightly.
The removal of the fan housing on the type 3 engine is accomplished in a slightly different manner due to the layout of the cooling system of this engine.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley, rear fan housing half and fan.
- Unhook the linkage and the spring at the right-hand air control flap.
- Remove the attaching screws of the front half of the fan housing.
- Prior to installation, the front half of the fan housing should be checked for damage.
- Install the front half of the fan housing, ensuring correct sealing with the cylinder cover plates.
- Replace and tighten the two lower mounting screws slightly.
- Turn the two halves of the fan housing to the left until the left crankcase half is contacted by the front lug.
- Tighten fully the two lower mounting screws.
- Loosen the nuts at the breather support until it can be moved.
- Insert and tighten the mounting screws of the upper fan housing half.
- Tighten the breather support nuts fully. Connect the linkage and spring to the right-hand air control flap.
- Install the fan and rear half of the fan housing.