REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Type 2 Models
An assistant will be necessary to safely perform this procedure.
- Remove the outside runner cover as follows:
- Remove the 3 Phillips head screws, located at the front of the outside runner cover, that hold the cover on the body.
- Remove the cover securing nut and bolt from inside the passenger compartment.
- Fully open the sliding door.
- Loosen the Phillips head screw on the retaining strip by about 15 revolutions.
- Place a punch against the head of the Phillips head screw, then, using a hammer, tap the punch sharply to drive the retaining strip toward the rear of the body.
- Starting at the rear of the sliding door, lift the outside runner cover up and out of the retaining strip.
- After taking the cover off, fully remove the Phillips head screws from the ends of the retaining strip and remove the retaining strip from the body.
- Push the door far enough to the rear so that the guide piece and the roller on the hinge link can be lifted sideways out of the recess in the center runner.
- Push the door completely to the rear and lift it until the upper roller can be lifted out of the top runner.
- Swing the door slightly outward and pull the lower rollers out of the break in the bottom runner and remove the door.
- Inspect the runners and, if necessary, straighten them. Check the guide and support rollers on the door. Replace damaged rollers. Lubricate the rollers with multipurpose grease if they turn stiffly.
- Inspect the rubber weatherstripping around the door opening in the body. If necessary, remove the old weatherstripping, using solvent to remove any residual traces of the weatherstripping. Use a weatherstripping adhesive to glue the new weatherstripping in place.
- Insert the door first into the bottom runner, then into the top runner.
- Push the door forward until the roller and guide can be inserted in the break in the center runner.
- Loosely install the retaining strip. Press the cover into the gap between the body and the retaining strip from above, then insert the beading.
Place a small amount of plastic sealing compound ("dum-dum") between the retaining strip and the body to maintain a gap while the cover and beading are being installed.
- Install the 2 Phillips head screws which screw in from below.
- By turning the Phillips head screw in the front end of the retaining strip, tension the retaining strip while making sure that the beading is correctly positioned.
- Secure the cover at the lock pillar end with the remaining Phillips head screw. Install the nut and bolt from inside the passenger compartment.
- Align the side sliding door, as described later in this section.
The sliding door is properly adjusted if the gap between the door and the door opening is even all around. The trim or waistline on the door must align with the trim or waistline on the body and the door surface must be flush with the surface of the body.