Make sure the shifting cable is not kinked or bent and that the linkage and cable are properly lubricated.
- Move the gear shift lever to the Park position.
- Loosen the clamp which holds the front and rear halves of the shifting rod together. Loosen the clamping bolts on the transaxle lever.
- Press the lever on the transaxle rearward as far as possible. Spring pressure will be felt. The manual valve must be on the stop in the valve body.
- Holding the transaxle lever against its stop, tighten the clamping bolt.
- Holding the rear shifting rod half, push the front half forward to take up any clearance and tighten the clamp bolt.
- Test the shift pattern.