REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the front rim retaining screw and pull out the complete headlight unit.
- Separate the wiring connector from the sealed beam unit.
- Disconnect the two wires from the parking light bulb socket.
- Remove the parking light bulb by unscrewing it from the housing.
The lens retaining springs are under heavy tension. To prevent accidental component damage, be cautious when removing them.
- Remove the lens retaining springs. Hold the lamp unit with one thumb controlling the spring while the other thumb pulls the springs out of their seats.
- Withdraw the retaining ring and sealed beam unit.
Install the sealed unit and the parking light bulb into the housing. If replacement bulbs are needed, install the following depending on the voltage system:
Headlight for the 6-volt system-161 A (VW part number)
- Use the tabs and slots of the retaining ring as a guide for correct positioning of the sealed beam unit.
- Attach all of the wiring to the light bulbs.
- Inspect the rubber seal between the front rim and the vehicle fender for proper mounting.
- Adjust the headlight aiming, if necessary.
- Remove the screws which secures the headlight ring and remove the ring.
- The sealed beam is held in place by a ring secured by three screws. Remove the screws and the ring. Do not confuse the headlight aiming screws with the screws for the ring. There are only two screws used for aiming.
- Pull the wiring off the back of the sealed beam and remove the beam.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.