REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Siphon the hydraulic fluid from the master cylinder (clutch) reservoir.
- Pull back the carpeting from the pedal area and lay down some absorbent rags.
- Pull the elbow connection from the top of the master cylinder.
- Disconnect and plug the pressure line from the rear of the master cylinder.
- Remove the master cylinder mounting bolts and remove the cylinder to the rear.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Take care to bleed the system and adjust pedal free-play.
Type 2 (Vanagon)
See Figure 1
- Remove the lower front bulkhead paneling.
- Remove the cover over the brake master cylinder by grasping the top cover to the instrument cover at the two notches at the front and pulling it off.
- Disconnect and plug the reservoir hose and the clutch line from the master cylinder.
- Disconnect the clevis pin on the master cylinder pushrod.
- Remove the two bolts and remove the master cylinder.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. When attaching the pushrod, play between the pushrod and the piston in the master cylinder must be 0.020 in. maximum. Adjust if necessary.