REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the car and place it on jackstands. Securely block up the A-arm.
- Disconnect the driveshaft.
- Disconnect the handbrake cable at the brake lever and remove it.
- Disconnect the brake lines and the stabilizer bar, if equipped.
- With the vehicle on the ground or the A-arm securely supported, remove the lower shock absorber mounting bolt.
- Slowly release the A-arm and remove the coil springs.
- Mark the position of the brackets or the eccentric bolts, whichever are removed, with a chisel. Remove the nuts which secure the brackets in the rear axle carrier, or the pivot bolts in the bonded rubber bushings, and remove the A-arm.
- Loosely install the A-arm. If the pivot bolts were removed, install them loosely. If the eccentric bolts and brackets were removed, install, aligning the chisel marks, and tighten them.
- Insert the coil spring and slowly compress it into place. Install the lower shock absorber mount.
1980-81 Type 2
Procedures are the same as for Type 4 models, except when removing the trailing arm, remove the trailing arm at the bushing bolts.