REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Types 1 and 2/1600
- Remove the two heater hoses and the generator strap.
- Pull out the lead wire from the coil. Remove the distributor cap and take off the spark plug connectors.
- Remove the retaining screws that are located on both sides of the fan housing. Remove the rear hood.
- Remove the outer half of the generator pulley and remove the fan belt.
- Remove the thermostat securing screw and take out the thermostat.
- Remove the lower part of the carburetor pre-heater duct.
- The fan housing can now be removed with the generator. After removal, check the fan housing for damage and for loose air deflector plates.
- Installation is the reverse of the above.
- Make sure that the thermostat connecting rod is inserted into its hole in the cylinder head. The fan housing should be fitted properly on the cylinder cover plates so that there is no loss of cooling air.
- Remove the generator and fan assembly as described in Generator Removal & Installation.
- While holding the fan, unscrew the fan retaining nut and take off the fan, spacer washers, and the hub.
- Place the hub on the generator shaft, making sure that the woodruff key is securely positioned.
- Insert the spacer washers. The clearance between the fan and the fan cover is 0.060.07 in. Place the fan into position and tighten its retaining nut. Correct the spacing by inserting the proper number of spacer washers. Place any extra washers between the lockwasher and the fan.
- Reinstall the generator and the fan assembly.
Type 2/1700, 2/1800 and 2/2000
- On 1973-74 models, the air injection pump and related parts must first be removed. Loosen the air pump and remove the drive belt. Remove the pump and bracket retaining bolts and remove the air pump and retaining brackets. Unbolt and remove the extension shaft and pulley assembly from the fan and fan housing. Using a 12 point allen wrench, loosen the alternator drive belt adjusting bolt. Then, remove the timing scale, fan and crankshaft pulley assembly, and the alternator drive belt.
- On models without the air injection pump, pry out the alternator cover insert, and, using a 12 point allen wrench, loosen the alternator adjusting bolt. Remove the alternator drive belt, the ignition timing scale and the grille over the fan. Remove the three socket head screws attaching the fan and crankshaft assembly to the crankshaft and remove the fan and pulley.
- Disconnect the cooling air control cable at the flap control shaft.
- On models so equipped, pull out the rubber elbow for the alternator from the front half of the fan housing.
- Remove the four nuts retaining the fan housing to the engine crankcase. The assembled fan housing may then be removed by pulling it to the rear and off the engine. It is not necessary to separate the fan housing halves or remove the alternator to remove the fan housing.
- Reverse the above procedure to install, taking care to adjust the alternator and air pump drive belts (1973-74 models) so that moderate thumb pressure deflects the belt about 1/2 in. when applied at a point midway between the longest run. Also, adjust the cooling air control cable as outlined in this section.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley, the rear fan housing half, and the fan.
- Unhook the linkage and spring at the right-hand air control flap.
- Remove the screws for the front half of the housing and remove the housing.
- Install the front half and ensure the correct sealing of the cylinder cover plates.
- Replace and tighten the two lower mounting screws slightly.
- Turn the two halves of the fan housing to the left until the crankcase half is contacted by the front lug.
- Fully tighten the two lower mounting screws.
- Loosen the nuts at the breather support until it can be moved.
- Insert and tighten the mounting screws of the upper fan housing half. Tighten the breather support nuts fully.
- Connect the linkage and spring to the right-hand air control flap.
- Install the fan and the rear half of the fan housing.
Types 4, 2/1700, 2/1800 and 2/2000
- Remove the engine. Remove the fan belt.
- Remove the allen head screws and remove the belt pulley and fan as an assembly.
It is not necessary to remove the alternator to remove the fan housing.
- Remove the spacer and the alternator cover plate.
- Disconnect the cooling air regulating cable at the shaft.
- Remove the nuts and remove both halves of the fan housing at the same time.
- Installation is the reverse of the above.