DISASSEMBLY & ASSEMBLY
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the cylinder heads, cylinders, and pistons.
- Remove the oil strainer, oil pressure switch, and the crankcase nuts. Remove the flywheel and oil pump. The flywheel is held in place by the bolt, (Type 4 and 1972-81 Type 2 have five bolts), at the center of the flywheel. Matchmark the flywheel so that it can be replaced in the same position.
On manual transmission models, remove the clutch pressure plate and disc to expose the flywheel bolt(s).
- Keep the cam followers in the right crankcase half in position by using a retaining spring.
- Clean the sludge off of the crankcase and locate [cf2]all of the crankcase retaining nuts. Do not try to separate the halves until you are sure you have removed [cf2]all of the nuts. Use a rubber hammer to break the seal between the crankcase halves.
- After the seal between the crankcase halves is broken, remove the right-hand crankcase half, the crankshaft oil seal and the camshaft end plug. The camshaft and crankshaft can now be lifted out of the crankcase half.
- Remove the cam followers (or lifters) bearing shells, and the oil pressure relief valve.
- Before starting reassembly, check the crankcase for any damage or cracks.
- Flush and blow out all ducts and oil passages. Check the studs for tightness. If the tapped holes are worn install a Heli-Coil.
- Install the crankshaft bearing dowel pins and bearing shells for the crankshaft and camshaft. Make sure the bearing shells are installed in the proper journal. See Crankshaft Removal & Installation, later in this section, for crankshaft bearing placement.
- Install the crankshaft and camshaft after the bearings have been well lubricated. When installing the camshaft and the crankshaft, make sure the timing marks are aligned. See Camshaft and Timing Gears Removal & Installation, later in this section, for procedures.
- Install the oil pressure relief valve.
- Oil and install the cam followers.
To keep them from falling out during assembly, liberally coat them with white grease.
- Install the camshaft end-plug using sealing compound.
- Install the thrust washers and crankshaft oil seal. The oil seal must rest squarely on the bottom of its recess in the crankcase. The thrust washers at the flywheel end of the crankshaft are shims used to set the crankshaft end-play.
- Spread a thin film of sealing compound on the crankcase joining faces and place the two halves together. Tighten the nuts in several stages. Tighten the 8mm nut located next to the 12mm stud of the No. 1 crankshaft bearing first. As the crankcase halves are being tightened, continually check the crankshaft for ease of rotation.
- Crankshaft end-play is checked when the flywheel is installed. It is adjusted by varying the number of thickness of the shims located behind the flywheel. Measure the end-play with a dial indicator mounted against the flywheel, and attached firmly to the crankcase.