REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Single Carburetor System
- Disconnect the battery.
- Disconnect the generator wiring.
- Remove the generator. It will be necessary to loosen the fan housing and tilt it back to gain clearance to remove the generator.
- Disconnect the choke and the accelerator cable.
- On some models it will be necessary to remove the carburetor from the manifold.
- Unbolt the manifold from the cylinder head and remove the manifold from the engine.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Always use new gaskets.
Twin Carburetor System
- Remove the carburetors as outlined in Fuel System .
- Disconnect the tubes from the central idling system mixture distributor.
- Disconnect all vacuum lines. Label them for purposes of installation.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the manifolds to the cylinder heads. Carefully lift off each manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Take care to carefully clean all mating surfaces to the carburetors and cylinder heads. Always use new gaskets.
Fuel Injection SystemINLET MANIFOLD
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the pressure switch which is mounted under the right pair of intake manifold pipes. Disconnect the injector wiring.
- Remove the fuel injectors by removing the two nuts which secure them in place. On Type 3, do not separate the pair of injectors; they can be removed as a pair and must be left in the injector plate.
- After removing the intake manifold outer cover plate, remove the two screws which secure the manifold inner cover plate.
- The manifold may be removed by removing the two nuts and washers which hold the manifold flange to the cylinder head.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. The inner manifold cover should be installed first, but leave the cover loose until the outer cover and manifold are in place. Always use new gaskets. See the following step for proper injector installation.
- Connect the fuel hoses to the injectors, if removed, after assembling the injectors with the injector retainer plate in place. Make sure that the sleeves are in place on the injector securing studs. Carefully slip the injectors into the manifold and install the securing nuts. Never force the injectors in or out of the manifold. Reconnect the injector wiring.
The intake air distributor is located at the center of the engines at the junction of the intake manifold pipes.
It is not necessary to remove the distributor if only the manifold pipes are to be removed.
- Remove the air cleaner and pressure switch which are located under the right pair of manifold pipes.
- Push the four rubber hoses onto the intake manifold pipes.
- Remove the accelerator cable and the throttle valve switch.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable.
- Disconnect the vacuum hoses leading to the ignition distributor and the pressure sensor and disconnect the hose running to the auxiliary air regulator.
- Remove those bolts under the air distributor which secure the air distributor to the crankcase and remove the air distributor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.