REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
TYPE 1 CARBURETED ENGINE AND 2/1600
- Working under the hood, disconnect the pre-heater hoses.
- Remove the pre-heater pipe protection plate on each side of the engine. The plates are secured by three screws.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley cover plate.
- Remove the rear engine cover plate from the engine compartment. It is held in place by screws at the center, right, and left sides.
- Remove the four intake manifold pre-heat pipe bolts. There are two bolts on each side of the engine.
- Disconnect the warm air channel clamps at the left and right side of the engine.
- Disconnect the heat exchanger clamps at the left and right side of the engine.
- Remove the muffler from the engine.
- Installation is the reverse of the above. Always use new gaskets to install the muffler.
- On vehicles with catalytic converters, simply unbolt the muffler from the converter and remove. It may be necessary to remove the tailpipe first to make room.
- On vehicles without catalytic converters, unbolt the small EGR pipe (two bolts at each end), then unbolt the muffler from the heat exchangers.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
The muffler is secured to the heat exchangers with clamps and, on some models, to the body with bolts at the top and at the ends.
TYPES 4, 2/1700, 2/1800 AND 2/2000
The muffler is secured to the left and/or right heat exchangers by three bolts or a muffler clamp. There is a bracket at one end of the muffler. Always use new gaskets when installing a new muffler.
See Figures 1 , 2, 3, and 4