REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
TYPE 1 CARBURETED ENGINE AND 2/1600
- Working under the hood, disconnect the pre-heater hoses.
- Remove the pre-heater pipe protection plate on each side of the engine. The plates are secured by three screws.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley cover plate.
- Remove the rear engine cover plate from the engine compartment. It is held in place by screws at the center, right, and left sides.
- Remove the four intake manifold pre-heat pipe bolts. There are two bolts on each side of the engine.
- Disconnect the warm air channel clamps at the left and right side of the engine.
- Disconnect the heat exchanger clamps at the left and right side of the engine.
- Remove the muffler from the engine.
- Installation is the reverse of the above. Always use new gaskets to install the muffler.
- On vehicles with catalytic converters, simply unbolt the muffler from the converter and remove. It may be necessary to remove the tailpipe first to make room.
- On vehicles without catalytic converters, unbolt the small EGR pipe (two bolts at each end), then unbolt the muffler from the heat exchangers.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
The muffler is secured to the heat exchangers with clamps and, on some models, to the body with bolts at the top and at the ends.
TYPES 4, 2/1700, 2/1800 AND 2/2000
The muffler is secured to the left and/or right heat exchangers by three bolts or a muffler clamp. There is a bracket at one end of the muffler. Always use new gaskets when installing a new muffler.
See Figures 1 , 2, 3, and 4
- Disconnect the air tube at the outlet end of the exchanger.
- Remove the clamp which secures the muffler to the exchanger.
- Loosen the clamp which secures the exchanger to the heater hose connection at the muffler.
- Remove the nuts which secure the exchanger to the forward end of the cylinder head.
- Remove the heater flap control wire.
- Reverse the above to install. Always use new gaskets.
- Disconnect the air hose at the outlet of each exchanger.
- Disconnect the warm air tube at the outside end of the exchanger.
- Disconnect the bolts or clamps which secure the exchangers to the muffler.
- Remove the nuts at each exhaust port which secure the exchanger to the cylinder head.
- Installation is the reverse of the above. Always use new gaskets.
TailpipesTYPES 1 AND 2/1600
Loosen the clamps on the tailpipes and apply penetrating oil. Work the pipe side-to-side while trying to pull the tailpipe out of the muffler.
It is often difficult to remove the tailpipes without damaging them.TYPES 4, 2/1700, 2/1800 AND 2/2000
Remove the bolt which secures the pipe to the muffler. Remove the bolt which secures the pipe to the body and remove the pipe.
Tailpipe and ResonatorTYPE 3
Loosen the clamp at the resonator-to-muffler connection. Remove the bolt at the bend of the tailpipe and remove the resonator and tailpipe from the resonator. Loosen the clamp which secures the tailpipe to the resonator and work them apart.