REMOVAL & INSTALLATION Type 1 Models
See Figure 1
- Open the rear hood, then remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Matchmark the hinge position on the rear hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Cover the carburetor intake to prevent the entry of dirt.
- Disconnect the license plate light wire and unfasten it from the hood so that it will not be damaged as the hood is removed.
- Remove the 4 bolts that hold the hood hinges to the curved hinge brackets on the body.
- Pull the hood out and upward against spring pressure and unhook the load spring from the bracket on the vehicle's roof panel. The spring will stay with the hood when the hood is removed.
- If necessary, remove the curved hinge brackets from the car body by removing the 3 bolts at each bracket.
- Before installing the hood, check the condition of the rubber weatherstripping. If necessary, reglue or replace the weatherstripping.
- Loosely install one hood hinge on the curved bracket on the car body.
- Holding the hood at an angle so that you can reach behind it, engage the spring in the bracket on the car roof panel.
- Push the hood upward and toward the car. Loosely install the remaining hinge.
- Move the hood in the elongated bolt holes until it contacts the weatherstripping evenly all around, then tighten the hinge bolts securely.
Types 2, 3 and 4 Models
Some Type 2 models are equipped with an upper luggage compartment hood and a lower engine access hood, whereas the Type 3 and 4 models are equipped with one rear hood which supplies access to the luggage compartment and engine bay-all rear hoods on these models are removed in the same manner.
- Before removing the rear luggage compartment hood or the rear engine access hood, matchmark its position on the hinges for easier alignment during installation.
- Disconnect the negative battery wire.
- Cut the license plate light wire in the middle so that it can later be rejoined with a splice or butt-end connector.
- Remove the hinge-to-hood bolts on one side of the hood. Have an assistant support the unbolted side of the hood while you remove the hinge-to-hood bolts on the other side of the hood.
- Lift off the rear hood together.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure that the hinge-to-hood matchmarks are properly aligned and make certain that the latch works correctly.
- Once the hood is properly aligned and the hinge-to-hood bolts and tightened securely, splice the two ends of the license plate light wire back together.
- Connect the negative battery cable.