REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Some models have a drain plug in the pan. Remove the plug and drain the transmission oil. On models without the plug, loosen the pan bolts 2-3 turns and lower one corner of the pan to drain the oil.
- Remove the pan bolts and remove the pan from the transaxle.
It may be necessary to tap the pan with a rubber hammer to loosen it.
- Use a new gasket and install the pan. Tighten the bolts loosely until the pan is properly in place, then tighten the bolts fully, moving in a diagonal pattern.
Do not overtighten the bolts.
- Refill the transaxle with ATF.
- At 5 minute intervals, retighten the pan bolts two or three times.
The Volkswagen automatic transaxle has a filter screen secured by a screw to the bottom of the valve body. Remove the pan and remove the filter screen from the valve body.
Clean the filter screen with compressed air. 1976-81 Type 2s have a non-cleanable filter which must be replaced with a new one if the ATF fluid is very dirty.