All Type 3 and Type 4 models, as well as 1975 and later Type 1 and Type 2 models have an electric pump. The fuel pump is located near the front axle on Types 1, 3, and 4, and near the fuel tank on Type 2.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the fuel pump wiring. Pull the plug from the pump but do not pull on the wiring.
- Disconnect the fuel hoses and plug them to prevent any leakage.
- Remove the two nuts which secure the pump and then remove the pump.
- Reconnect the fuel pump hoses and wiring and install the pump on the vehicle.
- Connect the battery cable.
Electric fuel pump pressure is 28 psi. Fuel pump pressure is determined by a pressure regulator which diverts part of the fuel pump output to the gas tank when 28 psi is reached. The regulator, located on the engine firewall, has a screw and locknut on its end. Loosen the locknut and turn the screw to adjust the pressure. Do not force the screw in or out if it does not turn.