REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Oil Bath Type
See Figures 1 through 5
This type cleaner should be cleaned at 6,000 mile intervals, or when the oil is changed.TYPE 1 AND 2 (1970-73)
- To clean the air cleaner, remove the hoses attached to the air cleaner.
- Next, loosen the air cleaner support bracket screw and the air cleaner clamp screw.
- On 1970 models, disconnect the warm air flap cable. Lift the air cleaner off the engine. Keep the carburetor hole down to prevent spilling the oil out of the air cleaner.
- Loosen the spring clips which secure the top of the air cleaner to the bottom and then separate the halves. Do not invert the upper half.
- Put the upper half of the air cleaner down with the filter element facing downward. Thoroughly clean the bottom half.
- Fill the air cleaner with 0.9 pints of SAE 30 (SAE 10W in sub-freezing climates) oil or, if present, to the oil level mark stamped into the side of the air cleaner.
- Reassemble the air cleaner and install it on the engine.
See Figure 6
- Disconnect the activated charcoal filter hose, the rubber elbow, and the crankcase ventilation hose. Remove the wing nut in the center of the air cleaner and lift the air cleaner assembly off of the engine.
- Release the spring clips which keep the air cleaner halves together and take the cleaner apart. Do not invert the upper half.
- Clean the lower half and refill it with 0.085 pints of SAE 30 oil (SAE 10W in subfreezing climates) to the level mark. When reassembling the air cleaner, align the marks for the upper and lower halves.
- Reinstall the air cleaner on the engine. Make sure it is properly seated.
Paper Element TypeTYPE 1 (1973-74), AND TYPE 4 (1973-74)
See Figures 7 and 8
- Label and disconnect the hoses from the air cleaner.
- Loosen the air cleaner clamp and remove the air cleaner from the engine. Release spring clamps which keep the halves of the cleaner together and separate the halves.
- Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing.
- The paper element should be replaced every 18,000 miles under normal service. It should be replaced more often under severe operating conditions. A paper element may be cleaned by blowing through the element from the inside with compressed air. Never use a liquid solvent to clean a paper element.
- Install the air cleaner element in the air cleaner housing