Removal & Installation
The ignition control unit is located in the cowling above the firewall in the engine compartment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Make sure the ignition key is in the OFF position.
- Remove the rubber weather-strip seal from the firewall. Carefully pull the plastic drain tray from the cowling.
- Unplug the connector from the ignition control unit.
- Remove the screws securing the to the heat sink/bracket assembly.
- Remove the ignition control unit control unit.
- Clean the mating surface of the heat sink/bracket and the bottom of the ignition control unit. These surfaces must be free of any debris.
- Spread an even coat of dielectric grease on the bottom of the ignition control unit (the bare metal side). The dielectric grease helps to make a better thermal connection between the ignition control unit and the heat sink.
- Position the new ignition control unit on the heat sink/bracket, then tighten the screws until snug.
- Engage the electrical connection.
- Install the idle stabilizer or plastic cowling cover and weather-strip seal as applicable.
- Connect the battery cable.