The driveshaft at this time is only available as a unit from the manufacturer. Make note that the center support bearing is installed with shims of equal size on both sides and the shims must be installed during reassembly.
The C/V joint-to-drive flange fasteners are a matched set. If a fastener must be replaced, it should be of an exact match to the other fasteners to retain proper balancing of the driveshaft.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- If equipped, remove the crossmember under the exhaust system.
- Remove the rear section of the exhaust system.
- Remove the heat shield from above the driveshaft.
- Check for the factory markings at the driveshaft and drive flanges. If faint or not visible, matchmark the drive shaft to the front and rear drive flanges.
- Loosen but do not remove the drive flange bolts.
- Remove three upper drive flange bolts on the front and rear drive flanges.
- Loosen, but Do NOT remove, the center bearing mounting fasteners.
- Install the two adapters, Tool No. 3139/2 into the alignment Tool No. 3298 and install onto the driveshaft, making sure to not install the tool on any balance plates.
- Support the alignment tool and driveshaft and remove the remaining drive flange and center support bearing fasteners. Make sure to note the installation of the center support bracket shims for reassembly purposes.
- Press the CV joints inward and remove the driveshaft.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Use a suitable tap the clean the drive flange threaded holes.
- Install the driveshaft using new mounting fasteners and gaskets. Clean the drive flanges thoroughly and apply the adhesive side of the gasket to the flanges. Make sure to install the correct shims between the center support bearing mount and the underbody.
- Make sure to align the matchmarks made during disassembly. If the driveshaft is being replaced, measure the run out of the differential drive flange and install the driveshaft such that the paint marks on the driveshaft aligns with the portion of the drive flange with the maximum runout. Matchmark the drive flange to the driveshaft.
- Torque the fasteners as follows: