Removal & Installation
2.8L Vr6 Engine
Lower Timing Chain Cover & Seal
The lower timing chain cover and seal are located on the flywheel side of the engine. To access the lower timing chain cover and seal the engine and transaxle assembly must be removed, then the transaxle and engine flywheel or drive plate are removed.
To replace the lower timing chain cover and seal proceed as follows:
- Remove the engine and transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
- Separate the transaxle from the engine. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Drive Train, Manual Transaxle, Automatic Transaxle.
- Remove the flywheel or drive plate.
- If removing the seal only, using a suitable seal removal tool, remove the seal.
- If removing the timing chain cover, the seal can be removed with or without the cover installed. To remove the cover, remove the cover mounting fasteners and then remove the cover.
To install :
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- If only the seal is to be replaced:
- Coat the inner sealing lip of the seal with petroleum jelly or fresh engine oil.
- If necessary, chamfer the edge of the bore in the housing cover.
- The outside seal surface and housing cover bore should be clean and dry. A sealant is not necessary.
- Using a suitable seal driver, install the seal into the cover making sure it is seated properly.
- If the housing cover was removed:
- Clean the sealing surfaces of the cover and the engine thoroughly.
- Apply a light coating of sealant Part No. AMV 188 001 02, or its equivalent, to all of the sealing surfaces.
- Install the cover and tighten the cover fasteners as follows:
- Install the flywheel or drive plate using new fasteners and torque as follows:
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.
The upper timing chain cover is located on the flywheel side of the engine. To replace the lower timing chain cover and seal proceed as follows:
- Remove the chain tensioner from the upper timing chain housing.
- Remove the upper and lower chain housing cover fasteners and remove the housing.
To install :
- Clean and coat sealing surfaces of the upper timing chain cover housing with a sealant, such as Part No. AMV 188 001 02.
- Install the cover onto the engine using new O-rings, coating the smaller O-ring with a light film of fresh engine oil. Lightly tighten the mounting bolts.
- Tighten all the M8 cover bolt(s) to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm), then tighten the M6 bolts to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- If the chain tensioner has pulled apart, bleed chain tensioner using a small, sturdy wire to relieve the check ball and collapse the tensioner. If the tensioner expands again, repeat the procedure.
- Install the double chain tensioner into the housing with a new seal and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).