Removal & Installation
- Use a heat gun and razor blade to soften and cut the PVC bead where the fender meets the A pillar. Be careful not to use too much heat.
- Remove the front bumper cover.
- Remove the inner wheel well.
- Remove the bolts to remove the fender.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure the zinc foil plates are in place at the bolt holes on the body. These prevent corrosion between the metal body parts.
The front fenders are bolted onto the body shell and the hood lock carrier on A4 and Passat models and can be removed and installed with basic hand tools. The rear fenders are integral with the body shell. Replacement of the rear fenders requires the use of specialized equipment. Replacement of the rear fenders should only be performed by a certified body repair technician, who can use approved equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, standards and specifications.
- Remove the front bumper, bumper guide, inner fender liner, and if equipped, the front radiator grille and trim.
- Mask the areas surrounding panels and bolts areas. If necessary, press the front bumper cover down using plastic wedges to access the front lower side mounting fasteners.
- From inside the wheel housing, remove the fasteners securing the rear part of the front fender to the A-pillar.
- Remove the fasteners along the top edge of the fender.
- On 1998-00 Passat models, carefully heat the inner area of the fender lightly where it meets the lower A-pillar using a hot air heat blower. Do NOT allow the PVC to discolor or blister.
- Remove the fender. Note, if the fender has been installed with a sealer, it should be cleaned off and reapplied as necessary.
- If replacing/repairing the fender, consult your dealer and follow the manufacturer's guide lines for corrosion protection.
- Prior to installation, install zinc padding (Part No. AKL 381-035-50, or its equivalent), to the mounting point of the front fender where it joins the wheel housing A-pillar.
- Align the fender with the hood and front door and adjust the air gap evenly between the 2 panels between 5 / 32 - 7 / 32 inch 4-6mm).
- Tighten the Torx® fender mounting fasteners, using a T25 bit, to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- The balance of the installation is in reverse order of removal.