Loosen the hinge to hood attaching bolts and move the hood from side to side until there is an equal amount of clearance on both sides of the hood and fender. Tighten the hood bolts.
Once the hood is installed, tighten the hood-to-hinge bolts just snug. Close the hood and check for perfect seam alignment. The hood seams are one of the most visible on the car; the slightest error will be plainly obvious to an observer.
Loosen the bolts and position the hood as necessary, then snug the nuts and recheck. Continue the process until the hood is properly centered, level with the fenders, and aligns evenly at all the seams.
The hood bolts and the hinge mount bolts may be loosened just enough to adjust their positions. When everything aligns correctly, tighten the bolts securely.
The elevation of the hood at the latch end may be adjusted by turning the rubber stops or cushions. These bumpers have threaded bottoms and move up or down when turned. An annoying hood rattle on bumps may be caused by missing cushions, or misalignment of the hood.
Hood Lock Carrier Service Position
Setting The Service Position
To allow clearance for engine compartment related component removal, repairs and maintenance on all A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, the front body section of the vehicle must be moved forward. This procedure is referred to as placing the (hood) lock carrier in the service position.
To place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position requires removal of the front bumper and the upper radiator support/(hood) lock carrier assembly must be loosened and moved forward where it is held in place by reinstalling the upper mounting bolts.
To place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position:
- Remove the front bumper. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Front Bumper, Removal and Installation.
- Matchmark the front bumper shock-to-body panel for reinstallation and remove the bumper shocks.
- Install Tool No. 3369 or place a 3 / 8 inch (9mm) inside diameter sleeve, about 4 inches (100mm) long around the 8mm front bumper mounting bolts such that 1 inch (25mm) of the threads are exposed, and thread them into the threaded hole just above the inner fasteners for the front bumper shock mounts. This is used to support the (hood) lock carrier assembly once it has been detached from the body.
- Disconnect the hood release cable by lifting the small retaining bracket and spreading the forked clevis to clear the pins.
- Detach the (hood) lock carrier from its body mounting points leaving all electrical wiring, coolant and air conditioner hoses attached.
- Carefully move the (hood) lock carrier forward and if necessary, secure it in place by aligning the lock carrier upper rearmost fastener holes with the forward most fastener holes of the front fenders and installing one upper fastener on both sides of the upper inner fender-to-carrier mounting point.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.
Removal & Installation
- Support the hood with a prop rod.
- Remove the spring clip from each end of the hood strut.
- Pull the base of the hood strut away from the stud on the hood.
- Replace the hood strut as a unit.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Raise the hood and support it securely.
- Cover the painted areas of the body to protect the finish from being damaged. Scribe the hood hinge-to-hood locations for installation.
- Remove the hood struts if applicable.
- While an assistant holds the hood, remove the hinge-to-hood retaining bolts.
- Remove the hood from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Align the hood with the scribe marks and tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Open and support the hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Protect the body with covers to prevent damage to the paint.
- Use a suitable marker, or scribe marks around the hinge locations for reference during installation.
- Unplug any electrical connections and windshield washer hoses that would interfere with hood removal.
- If equipped with a gas charged lifting shock, disconnect the shock from the hood.
- While an assistant helps secure the hood, unfasten the attaching bolts, then remove the hood from the vehicle.
- Place the hood into position. Install and partially tighten attaching bolts.
- Adjust the hood with the reference marks and tighten the attaching bolts.
- Check the hood for an even fit between the fenders and for flush fit with the front of the fenders. Also, check for a flush fit with the top of the cowl and fenders. If necessary, adjust the hood latch.
- Attach any electrical connections or windshield washer hoses that were disconnected during hood removal.