Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with SRS, wrap the cable in insulated tape, then wait at least 60 seconds before continuing to allow the SRS system time to disable.
- If equipped, remove the rear floor console.
- If necessary, remove the ashtray and cup holder assemblies.
- If equipped, remove the carpet inserts from the floor console assembly.
- On manual transaxle equipped models, remove the manual transaxle shifter knob.
- On some models, remove the transaxle shift lever trim plate.
- Remove the screw plugs in the side covers. Remove the retainer screws and the side covers from the vehicle.
- Remove the front mounting screw cover from the floor console.
- Label and detach the electrical wire harness connections for the floor console.
- Remove the retaining screws and the floor console from the vehicle.
- Install the floor console in position in the vehicle and secure with the retaining screws.
- The installation is the reverse of removal.
- First, remove the rear section of the center console, as described in this section.
- On Audi models, remove the radio/cassette unit. Also, pull the knobs from the heater controls and remove the 4 securing screws at the corners of the radio opening and release the console trim panel from its retaining clips.
- Then, remove the plastic plugs from the front lower edges of the console and remove the securing nuts beneath.
- On models with manual transaxles, unclip the shift lever cover, then unscrew shift knob, together with cover and remove from the top.
- Remove the center console from instrument panel and remove from the top of gearshift lever.
- On models with automatic transaxles, unclip the trim/gear indicator panel. Lift it over the gearshift lever and remove it from the console.
- Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, the remove the console from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- With the handbrake lever applied, remove the securing pin at the base of the parking brake grip and pull the lever grip free. Withdraw the trim from the lever.
- Remove the plastic plugs from the lower edges at the front of the console and remove the securing screws beneath the plugs.
- Pull the cup holder out at the rear of the console, and then remove the ashtray and the lock nuts at the base of the ashtray recess.
- Place the center armrest in the upright position, then remove the rubber mat and unscrew the nut securing the center of the rear console.
- Where applicable, release the diagnostic connector from its position adjacent to the ashtray.
- Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, then remove the console by lifting it from the rear up and over the brake lever.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal. Ensure that the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring is reconnected and that the diagnostic connector is installed in the correct position.