With P.A.S. Low Mounted Pump
This procedure requires the following special tools, or their equivalents:
Hose Clamps Up to 25 mm diameter 3094Torque Wrench 5-50 Nm V.A.G 1331Assembly tool for spring-type clip pliers VAS 5024
Pumps from service parts inventory do not contain fluid. They must be filled with hydraulic fluid G 002 000 before installation and turned by hand, otherwise pump noise or damage can result in operation.
- Remove the retainers and the noise insulator.
Loosen the belt pulley hex socket head bolt. If necessary, hold the pulley in place with a hex wrench.
Swivel the tensioner in direction of arrow in the illustration to relieve tension from the ribbed V-belt.
- Identify and mark the direction of rotation of the poly-V belt
- Remove drive belt.
- Remove belt pulley hex. socket head bolt.
- Clamp off suction hose with Hose Clamps Up to 25 mm dia. 3094 .
- Unclamp the Spring clamp - 3 -, using VAS 5024 spring-type clip pliers, or equivalent too, and pull off the intake hose.
- Remove banjo bolt - 4 - .
- Close off the pressure line with a plastic bag or similar.
Remove hex bolts - 1 - and - 2 - .
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Fill the power steering pump with hydraulic fluid. Fill the pump with fluid through the suction pipe. Turn the hub by hand until oil runs out of the pressure side.
- Install the power steering pump on the bracket and tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Install intake hose and install spring-type clip. Refer to the accompanying illustration. The mark must align with casting seam. The spring-type clip must close off the mark.
- Install new sealing rings onto banjo bolt, then install the banjo bolt and tighten to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Check the power steering fluid level and add fluid if necessary.
- Check the steering system for leaks.
- Bleed the power steering system, as outlined in this section.