Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Matchmark the driveshaft CV joint to the differential drive flange and disconnect the driveshaft.
- Remove the cover plate on the rear final drive assembly.
- Matchmark and disconnect the rear axles from the differential. Support the axles aside with mechanic's wire.
- Place a suitable transmission jack underneath, such as Tool No. VAG1383A and adapter Tool No. VAG1359/2, and support the differential.
- Remove the mounting fasteners from the front mounting bracket, then remove the fasteners from the rear mounting bracket.
- Carefully lower the differential.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Clean the threads of the drive flange with a suitable tap.
- When installing the driveshaft make sure to align the matchmarks made during disassembly and attach the driveshaft CV joint using new bolts.
- Observe the following tightening torque specifications:
- Check and top off the differential oil as necessary.